• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Cannabis Smoking And Asthma

Another Brick In T

Greenlighter
I have severe form of asthma and due to smoking it's getting worse day by day. The condition has become so bad even inhaler doesn't work. I have to breath through nebulizer 7-8 times everyday. Other than smoking pot, my daily activities have become very limited.
I've been trying deep breathing, yoga.........aren't helping much.

Your suggestions would be hugely appreciated.Thanks.

Hi Another Brick In T would it be possible for you to stop smoking since it's affecting your asthma? Do you smoke cigarettes as well of just the weed? If it's affecting you please stop. Have you visited your doctor regarding other types of medication or treatments you can undergo to (oxygen, magnesium sulfate intravenous treatment, heliox)? I have read this article about vitamin D which is a potential treatment for asthma. Please have a look at this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ents-soon-used-treatment-alongside-drugs.html

Last edited:
I used to smoke pot (along with tobacco) all day every day - If I was awake I was stoned. Did it for years, and my asthma got terrible. I normally don't have chronic asthma, just reactive airway disease (something needs to trigger it).

I haven't smoked pot in 3 months (exactly 90 days today!) and I switched to using a nicotine vaporizer a couple weeks ago. My lungs feel amazing now! I'd suggest you either quit getting stoned, or switch to vaporizing/eating THC products.

Hi Another Brick In T would it be possible for you to stop smoking since it's affecting your asthma? Do you smoke cigarettes as well of just the weed? If it's affecting you please stop. Have you visited your doctor regarding other types of medication or treatments you can undergo to (oxygen, magnesium sulfate intravenous treatment, heliox)? I have read this article about vitamin D which is a potential treatment for asthma. Please have a look at this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ents-soon-used-treatment-alongside-drugs.html

Hello Maya! Thanks for your encouragement!
I smoke cigarettes very rarely. And yeah I've visited couple of doctors, nothing is helping much!
Vitamin D......that sounds good! Thnx for sharing the article!

I used to smoke pot (along with tobacco) all day every day - If I was awake I was stoned. Did it for years, and my asthma got terrible. I normally don't have chronic asthma, just reactive airway disease (something needs to trigger it).

I haven't smoked pot in 3 months (exactly 90 days today!) and I switched to using a nicotine vaporizer a couple weeks ago. My lungs feel amazing now! I'd suggest you either quit getting stoned, or switch to vaporizing/eating THC products.

3 months........congrats man!!:)
About vaporizing/eating THC products.........well, that will definitely get attention from my parents. I was somewhat sober for 1 yr. And I don't want 'em to know that I'm using cannabis again. They are not very understanding people and I live in a very backward f'ing society:(

As the situation is getting worse, should I take a chance and come clean to my parents and tell them I need their help??(that would be letting me use the kitchen to bake)

As the situation is getting worse, should I take a chance and come clean to my parents and tell them I need their help??(that would be letting me use the kitchen to bake)

Absolutely, you should be honest with them and tell them :)

Do you consciously breath from your stomach? I find this helps with me. I also have asthma... or something.. But I am constantly trying to stay in control of out of control emotions.

Absolutely, you should be honest with them and tell them :)

There's at least 60% chance if I tell them about what I'm going through, they'll rather hamper my recovery process.Thats what happened last time. So, I have to really think this through.

Do you consciously breath from your stomach? I find this helps with me. I also have asthma... or something.. But I am constantly trying to stay in control of out of control emotions.

hello!.....yeah,I'm trying the breathing techniques.

Could you guys tell me about any physical activity(apart from yoga...in my experience yoga only works if the practitioner leads a very disciplined life) that won't be too demanding and will help to gradually strengthen my lungs? Also any lungs cleansing method?

Do you meditate as well OP? I usually find that my breathing is better whenever I meditate. Also too, please check out this thread I posted about Tai Chi:

http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/threads/683851-Tai-Chi

This is another way of relaxation I do whenever I have anxiety, but I believe you can also use this to practice breathing techniques. Let me know if these help you.

Yoga works. What kind of yoga are you doing?

You don't need to be disciplined to practice yoga. Yoga will, in time, make you naturally more inclined toward discipline.

Are we talking airway constriction (which is the traditional definition of asthma) or reduced lung capacity where lung absorption is getting less and less?

How old are you and how long have you been smoking for? Has emphysema been ruled out?

If all of the common lung diseases have been ruled out by your doctor, I would get tested for alpha-1 anti-trypsin deficiency. It's a genetic level issue and it progresses over a long period, but smoking accelerates it.

the obvious thing to do is stop smoking if asthma is affecting your daily lifestyle

when I was diagnosed with asthma years ago I bought a Volcano vaporizer to smoke weed

making cannabutter is going to stink up your parents' house for days
do not ask to do that

breathing techniques are not going to strengthen your lungs

breathing techniques are not going to strengthen your lungs

Yes they are.

Here's a great exercise:

Inhale for six breaths. Retain breath for three breaths. Exhale for six breaths. Repeat.

I suggest 5 cycles the first time. Work up to 10. Then work up to 7-second inhalations and 4-second renetions.

This exercise ensures prana circulates throughout your entire lungs. Strengthens the diaphragm. Breathe through your stomach.

I too have asthma & am a regular cannabis smoker. I switched to St Helens Farm Goats milk about a year ago, my asthma is much better since coming off moo juice. I now use goats butter too, i dont like goats cheese so have just cut cheese out of my diet completely. I found that cows milk used to create a lot of mucus on my chest which made it hard to breathe, i rarely reach for my inhalors now but always keep them to hand when i am smoking, just incase!

Since switching to goats milk, my asthma & dry skin patches have improved greatly.

You need one of these if you want to keep getting high but it's affecting your asthma too much.

Bigger-lmage-of-Separated-Parts.jpg

I have asthma as well, was born with it, always had a breathing machine close by and a rescue inhaler in my pocket. I idiotically smoked tobacco for 13 years and graduated to almost 2 packs per day. I also have always been a heavy weed smoker as well. I ditched the cigarettes for an electronic cigarette and I don't need my rescue inhaler barely ever any more. My lungs feel so much better and walking is easier.
I have a vaporizer for weed but sometimes I'm too lazy to set it up. I've played with one of these electronic cigarette tank attachments that allow you to vape weed a lot easier than setting up a big machine. It also produces barely any smell at all, if you're trying to be stealthy about it.

^ I don't stay high as long when I use a vaporizor. I think it's because not all the cannabinoids are vaporized, or something. If I vap then I'll be close to sobriety after about a half hour, but if I smoke a joint I'll be high for hours.

But I don't have asthma, so the risk factors for me are less.